Friday, October 1, 2010

The Misadventure of My New Bike

Over the course of the past week, the majority of my time has been spent sleeping in, reading, working on homework or watching tv. Its been kind of nice being able to relax and take some time off. Naho works a couple of days a week, but when she doesn't work we have spent a lot of time riding around town. The first couple of times that we went anywhere I used Naho's bike. Eventually however, Naho's parents got this bike back from some other relatives. Its a tad on the small side, I'd compare it to about the size of Isaac's back at home.
 So Naho and I were going to head into the downtown area the night after we got the bike. However, my first downward thrust resulted in the pedal popping off. Not having any tools on me at the time, I tried my best to screw it back in. After about five more pedals, it popped off again. Fortunately we were able to find a tool box and got the pedal on again. We headed into town and got some stuff to make tacos for dinner. We had to make the tortillas.

The recipe called for some supplies that we hadn't picked up at the store earlier that day, so we ran really quick to the store about a mile or so away. About half way back, the pedal started acting up and wobbling. I kept pedaling, hoping it would be alright, but unfortunately the darn thing popped off again. This time however, I was riding at a quicker pace and the pedal went bouncing off to the side of the rode and into the drainage ditch. Considering there was about 6 inches of dirty water between me and my pedal, I wasn't about to hop in and grab it out. Luckily, there was a chunk of bamboo on the other side of the road that I was able to use to reach down and grab it. So there I was, precariously holding myself up about halfway between the road and the water at the bottom of the ditch trying to fish out a pedal for my mini bike while Naho just laughed at me. Eventually I was able to get it out and we walked the rest of the way home.

When we got back we started making out tortillas. The original recipe claimed to make 5 dozen, so we scaled it down to only 2 dozen. In the end, we were able to make 8. The first one or two might have been a bit thick, but they worked out alright. The following night however, I made my burgers. At the end of that meal, I guess Naho's dad said he liked them so much that I'm supposed to make them once a week. That was a bit of a relief, because I'm not sure how well the tacos went over. (preparing tacos below)
 Before making burgers on Wednesday night, Naho and I headed into a near-by city to get out and kind of see a little bit. The first thing we did was grab a bite to eat at a restaurant where I had the fried chicken and pancakes shown below. Following lunch, we took off for the mall area that we were going to walk through. On the way, we saw it was crepe day at Baskin Robins (during crepe day I guess the crepe's are 70 yen off). I wasn't sure how an ice cream crepe would quite work, but it was actually pretty tasty. Finally, I was also able to get some Christmas/souvenir/birthday gifts for all the siblings so I think I might be sending those back to you guys around December.

The final picture I have down there are some snacks that I got the other day in addition to my peanut butter and jelly, bread and noodle lunches that I can eat while everyone else is out at work. Next weekend I am going to spend back in Hiroshima with Eddie doing who knows what. I'll write about it once it happens.



2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Sam how amazing your trip has been so far! Glad you are helping out by cooking (and cleaning?)
    We miss you!
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam!! So good to read about your travels! Sounds like you're having a great time! I hope to keep reading! Stay safe! miss you!!

    Sammie

    PS- is "eddie" like as in....naoya?!?!

    ReplyDelete